13 Things 13 Execs Love About UNI DM
1. Abbey Koerperich: I love UNI Dance Marathon because it brings people together. We are all here for one common goal; to fight For The Kids. It gives us a reason to help inspire others through our leadership and love for the kiddos. We do it by remembering those who are dancing in our hearts, raising money for the University of Iowa's Stead Family Children's Hospital, and dedicating a day to thank everyone involved in UNI DM by holding a Big Event in March.
2. Alexis Scharfenkamp: Why do I love UNI Dance Marathon? Because it has totally and completely
changed my life for the better. It has allowed me to see how many children are robbed of their childhoods and how hard they have to fight just to see tomorrow. It has provided me with irreplaceable relationships with parents, siblings, and kiddos that are each fighting their own unique battles. It has created lifelong friendships that I will treasure for the rest of my life. It has made me realize how much college students can accomplish if they work together towards a common goal. UNI Dance Marathon has created a drive inside of me that seeks to put an end to all childhood illnesses, and it has provided me with not only a team, but a generation of people motivated to do the same thing. And I have no doubt in my mind that one day, we will. That's why I am in love with UNI Dance Marathon.
3. Conar Reed: I love UNI Dance Marathon because I am devoted to the cause we support with all that I am. As a childhood cancer survivor myself, and although my battle was not as intense as other children, my life changed greatly. I learned that Hope is perhaps the most powerful of ideals, and Dance Marathon provides so much hope to all that participate, especially the kiddos. I dance to create more stories like my own: more survivors that can grow up and have all of life's incredible experiences, and more leaders within our beloved movement that are paying it forward to create miracles that extend beyond their own story. I dance for Hope for the kiddos and their families, and for a brighter future for us all.
4. Emily Kelleher: I love UNI Dance Marathon because you have the chance to make a difference for a kiddo. You can be the one to help raise the money that will enhance the hospital that our kiddos are treated at. You get the chance to show your support to these families who are going through the worst times of their lives. The support that UNI Dance Marathon gives to the families and their kiddos means the world to them and it's amazing that we have the opportunity and privilege to do that for them.
5. Erica Lockin: I love UNI Dance Marathon because it allows you to be involved with something bigger than yourself. You get to SEE the changes you are making: whether that be through volunteering, your fundraising total, meeting the Miracle Kids and their families, getting to know others who are bought in to the cause, the whole organization's fundraising total, the rooms we provided in the hospital, the list goes on. Because of these opportunities, Dance Marathon creates leaders from this generation who are fighting for the next.
6. Jack O'Brien: I love UNI Dance Marathon because I love seeing people from a variety of talents and backgrounds come together to work toward one common purpose: fighting For The Kids. Being such a large organization, we have a huge variety of people involved, and the one thing they all have in common is a passion to help the next generation. My favorite part of this is being able to see the results of all of our common efforts at the end of the year, knowing that we could not have done it without each other and with out everyone's different talents and ideas.
7. Jourdan Schwickerath: Why do I love UNI Dance Marathon? In my numerous years here at the University of Northern Iowa I can honestly say that I have never experienced an organization as inspiring as UNI Dance Marathon. Students are inspired to do something bigger than themselves, to be selfless, and to be the change they want to see for the future. Children are given inspiration and hope for a brighter tomorrow. Through UNI Dance Marathon they know, that no matter how hard or long their battle is, they will always have a helping-hand, a family, a friend. Parents are given inspiration and a support system to help them stand strong even when times are hard. The community is given awareness and insight to why so many college age student spend day and night helping these children fight, leaving them inspired and motivated to stand with us. It truly leaves each and every participant with a forever changed outlook on life. It has inspired me and moved me to tears. That is why I love UNI Dance Marathon.
8. Lauren Luce: I love UNI Dance Marathon because I love watching people fall in love with the cause. Many come to UNI having limited knowledge about what Dance Marathon is. Then a fabulous DM’er tells them all about it, they register and start attending events. Through creating friendships with other students, miracle kiddos, and their families, it is clear that the cause now holds a special place in their hearts.
9. Logan Winford: Why do I love Dance Marathon? I love dance marathon because this organization impacts everyone in a different way. This organization has impacted me tremendously, one day when I look back on my college experience the words Dance Marathon will pop up in bright, beautiful lights. This organization has lead me to unreal opportunities friendships that will last forever and a permanent mark. It has taught me patience, given me a different outlook and turned me into the person I am today. Dance Marathon is completely and utterly the best thing that has happened to me.
10. Madison Stalzer: I love UNI Dance Marathon because it has introduced me to the most loving and passionate people, my best friends, and the strongest kiddos. Watching college students come together and raise awareness and funds for the kiddos who need it most is the most amazing thing to see. We truly are this generation fighting for the next with the hope that one day we wont have to fight anymore, and more importantly, the kiddos wont have to fight anymore, because childhood illness will be a thing of the past. UNI Dance Marathon allows students to be apart of something so much bigger than themselves. Being apart of this organization has completely changed my life and the person I am in the best way.
11. Mariah Staebell: I love UNI Dance Marathon because of the connections you make and the relationships you build. Through UNI Dance Marathon, not only are you able to create relationships with the many people fighting for the same cause, but you're able to build relationships with the people you're fighting for. You have the opportunity to hear about their struggles, but also hang out with them and talk about day to day life, and even hear about how this organization is helping them and how it has made a difference in the lives of the kids and families. I now know that I, personally, would not be the same person I am today without the relationships I have been fortunate enough to gain through UNI Dance Marathon.
12. Maureen Hart: I love UNI Dance Marathon because I get to see all of the incredible humans that are working for a movement bigger than themselves: a cure. Hundreds of college students banding together and working all year long for children and families that need our help the most is so incredible. Every single college student has a reason for why they fundraise and why they never stop dancing. UNI Dane Marathon gives hope to children and families, and a place for college students to call home.
13. Mikayla Lien: I love UNI Dance Marathon because there are always friends to cheer me on and motivate me to be the best version of myself. Joining a committee sophomore year allowed me to meet lifelong friends. Because of Dance Marathon, I hope one day all kiddos will be able to go to college, do what they love, and find friendships that will last a lifetime.